Please enjoy another issue packed with evidence-based information about sports performance training and news about current events at Finish First Sports Performance. If you find value in this e-newsletter, please forward this message to your teammates, coaches, or other parents of hard working athletes.
Finish First Sports Performance is the official training/performance coaching provider for the Youngstown Phantoms USHL Hockey Team, the Robert Morris Univeristy NCAA Division 1 Men's Ice Hockey Team, and the Miss Pennsylvania Scholarship Organization.
Inside this Issue:
To bring you the very best information, this newsletter focuses on awareness of the training principles for young athletes, and how to use them to make sure your coach is on the right track. Enjoy!
1. Performance: Understanding Why Posture is Important in Golf
2. Nutrition: Homemade Smoothie or Shake Recipe
3. Special Announcements
4. New Performance Program: Titleist Golf Fitness
5. Motivational/Inspirational Quote
6. Thank You
By Brandon Monin, MS, CSCS, Performance Scientist
Understanding Why Posture is Important in Golf
Have you ever wondered why your golf swing is inconsistent? Although there are a lot of potential problems, I’m here to give you some advice that could help you solve some of them. One of the most common problems found in amateur golfers stems from the loss of proper posture in your swing. It’s been determined that 64.3% of amateur golfers have some form of posture loss during their swing.
What is Loss of Posture?
Loss of posture is considered any significant alteration from the body’s original set up angles during the golf swing. Loss of posture can affect all aspects of the golf swing, namely timing, balance, and rhythm. Losing posture typically causes two miss-hits: a block to the right and a hook to the left. As the angles of the body change from the loss of posture, the player is put in a position to have to rely on their hand action to square the clubface. This creates a timing-driven swing that can be inconsistent.
What Causes Loss of Posture?
There are a plethora of reasons why golfers lose posture during their swing. Listed below are several of the most common physical causes.
1. Generalized stiffness in the musculature and joints of the lower body--this limitation can alter good set up posture and force players to change their spinal posture throughout the golf swing.
2. The ability to separate the lower body from the upper body-- this allows the shoulders to rotate around the spine without altering original posture.
3. The inability to stabilize the core-- Poor stability in the core can cause a loss of posture. The ability to stabilize the angle of the spine during the swing is directly proportional to the strength and stability of the core musculature (your abs and glutes).
4. Poor Flexibility-- Flexibility allows golfers to get the club into key positions without altering the spine angle. In order to rotate around stable posture golfers must have good flexibility in the hips and shoulders.
What Can You Do?
If you feel that you fit any of the descriptions above then loss of posture could be killing your handicap. Fortunately for you this problem can be fixed through a physical screen and the use of corrective exercises.
The screen is designed to test every critical movement that is used during a golf swing. This will show any mobility (the combination of normal joint range of motion and proper muscular flexibility), stability (the ability of any system to remain unchanged or aligned in the presence of change or outside forces), and or imbalances (caused by the lack of a variety of movements or prolonged static postural stress due to sitting, standing, and walking in a straight line) that you have that could be causing loss of posture and other swing faults.
Once the problem(s) are found, corrective exercises are used to fix them so your swing can improve—which will also decrease the risk of injuries. Therefore if you are a candidate for a golf-specific evaluation, then the Titleist Performance Institute has created the most effective screen available.
Finish First Sports Performance offers this golf-specific evaluation by Titleist Performance Institute Certified Golf Fitness Specialist Brandon Monin. For more information about golf specific programming call Brandon at 1-866-468-2231 ext. 820 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
By Heather R Mangieri, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN
Finish First Sports Performance Nutrition Advisor, Visit Heather’s Website
Homemade Smoothie or Shake Recipe
Looking to boost calories without fat? Try either a homemade smoothie or shake recipe. No expensive supplements or weight gainers necessary!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake
1 cup vanilla ice milk
½ cup skim milk
2 Tbsp chocolate syrup
2 Tbsp peanut butter
◘Provides 540 calories, 70 grams carbohydrate, 18 grams protein
1 cup orange juice
1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
½ cup dry skim milk powder
½ cup frozen unsweetened strawberries
◘Provides 550 calories, 100 grams carbohydrates, 25 grams protein
- The Holiday hours will be as follows:
Mon, Dec. 20 - Thurs, Dec. 23: 2pm - 8pm
Fri, Dec. 24: Closed
Sat, Dec. 25: Closed
Mon, Dec. 27 - Thurs, Dec. 30: 2pm - 8pm
Fri, Dec. 31: 11am - 5pm
Sat, Jan. 1: Closed
Mon, Jan. 3: Normal hours resume
- Finish First Sports Performance is currently working on our website--expect some changes over the next few weeks---changes that will make it easier to navigate and find what you are looking for!
- Finish First Sports Performance is also currently working on our first podcast, a downloadable auido file that will provide training tips, coach interviews, athlete interviews, and other useful information.
- Finish First Sports Performance will has its new Hockey Logo and apparel with this new logo is available for purchase. For more information about this or to get a peek at the logo, visit the facility or visit the website.
- Finish First Sports Performance is making progress on the new World-Class training facility and there's already a buzz in the Pittsburgh area about it...drawings and details to come in the next few weeks.
- Finish First Sports Performance will be having an Elite NHL (pro) style hockey camp in 2011. Mark your calendar for August 1 - August 5th, 2011 for the most comprehensive and educational camp available...and finally making a home in Pittsburgh. Camp features daily on-ice sessions with Pittsburgh Penguins Power Skating coach Marianne Watkins, NHL veteran Jay Caufield, and NHL veteran and coach Rick Tocchet. Of-ice instruction will be led by Finish First Coach Jeremy Hoy, with nutritional coaching by a licensed sports dietitian, a daily training table (post workout nutrition)...and many other included items and performance related benefits to be announced soon. The camp will be limited to a select number of roster spots and players will be selected based on experience, submission of a completed application, and coach recommendation. More specific details about this camp will be revealed by the middle of January. Just a reminder...mark your calendar and stay tuned--this is a don't-want-to-miss camp!
New Performance Program:
Golf Fitness Training
Evidence Based Customized Programming
By a Certified Titleist Performance Institute Specialist
Titleist Golf Fitness
Why should you use a Titleist Performance Institute TPI certified specialist?
A TPI Golf Fitness Specialist is trained to identify and correct any physical limitations that may be causing faults in your swing. This is done by a thorough golf specific evaluation and properly implementing various golf specific exercises and stretches.
What are the benefits of customized golf fitness training?
• Decreases the risk of injury—play golf longer and live healthier
• Increases Power—drive the ball further
• Increases Strength—provides more force and stability for a more consistent swing
• Increases Endurance/Stamina—maintain power, strength and stability throughout the game
• Increases Flexibility—utilize a full swing, prevent injuries, and help increase power potential
• Increases Coordination—get better control of all movements required in your swing
• Increases Postural Stability—maintain proper golf posture throughout your swing
• Increases Mobility—unlock your joints to improve movement and decrease swing faults
How does the process work?
The process begins with a thorough golf specific evaluation to identify any physical limitations that can be causing faults in your swing. Our certified specialist will then use the information gathered to develop your customized training program. Your program will be tailored to fit your schedule and any other conflicts or limitations that you might have. Simply put, you will begin with an exam, then choose your training option.
Golf Fitness Fees
• Initial Evaluation $99
• Initial Evaluation + Take Home Training Program $250
You will be given an individualized training program based on the results of the evaluation to be done on your own.
• 8 Workout Sessions $320($40/Session)
• 16 Workout Sessions $560($35/Session)
• 24 Workout Sessions $720($30/Session)
All of the training sessions are 60 minute semi private sessions. Our coaches will implement and progress you through your personalized training program established from the evaluation.
All packages include an all access pass to the Titleist Performance Institute website and a FREE ($99 VALUE) re-evaluation at the end of your sessions. ,p>
For more information, please call Brandon Monin, our TPI Golf Fitness Specialist at 866-468-2231 x820. Or visit us at our website www.FinishFirstSports.com , or email at email@example.com.
"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success"
-- Henry Ford
Thank You for Your Support
Thanks again for subscribing to this free e-newsletter. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it. I look forward to your feedback as I continue to research to bring you the most current scientific training information available.
Should you have any specific article requests or questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit www.finishfirstsports.com for detailed sports performance training information and programs offered exclusively by Finish First Sports Performance.
Yours In Training,
Coach Jeremy S. Hoy, MS, CSCS, PES, USAW, Jump Stretch, Inc. Certified,
Elite Performance Scientist
Finish First Sports Performance
For Finish First Insider backissues #1 - 29, click here